Capturing risk as a variable with Opslock

When I joined Opslock, we were around 10 people, if not less, mainly composed by engineers and one sales person. The product was still in validation, based on papers that were handled on digital, and with a big gap in the way the mobile version of it was worked.

From day one, I started to map information on how processes where put in place and also mapping the Information Architecture of what we know as Legacy product today.

I mainly started to create some project posters for design; How the information architecture would be modify, all the white boarding sessions we did with the CEO to understand the uses cases of Safety in the Maritime industry, all the unknowns and possible user flows, but pretty much mapped out as user journey map, so we were able to capture what was the minimal version for each of them.

After that the technical challenge came in place, we tried to modify what we had in place, but users were already requesting Offline mode and many features that already didn't work well in legacy, so the CTO, proposed me to start with a minimal version, mainly base in Tasks and build in a lean way from the ground up, because in any case they would need to re-write the app.

Seeing it from far, I don't know if was it the best idea, but at least we accomplish with more learnings than victories.

We put in process a design driven development and development sprints, we split the work and features in different buckets and we started. We saw a lot of iterations and internal negotiations, but we accomplished what we were aiming for... a few months later tho...

Builded the Ocean Design system from the ground to accelerate development, with flexible components and multiple variables on Figma and Code ready to be implemented.

Actually it makes me really proud the fact that we were able to implemented Dynamic font sizing and Semantic color from day 1. And all that with a mobile first approach.

What a great nerd work party.

Selling process was triggered

We tried to convert with a few customers, but was kinda complex with the simplify version we were having at the time, and many different leads have normally different needs, specially considering the different industries that relate with Safety. So we changed the strategy into something more guided, so we would be able to enable customers to use our product, rather than asking them what they need. In a way that we wanted to understand the pain rather than being a solution.

In some way was a design thinking strategy that allows us to gather user problem trough discovery session, to really understand the problems they were facing, user flow by user flow... many of the customers felt they never saw before any of their internal processes in such a visual way, so we finally felt that we were doing something that was solving a "real" problem inside those companies.

A few months after and having many features, plus a fully cross platform app working on web, iOS and Android and 1000+ users waiting to be onboarded.

We hired a Product Manager that start to help us guide all this features, and specially, connecting the dots internally.

Currently we are working in enabling this onboarding process, by removing requirements and adding some easier ways to report internally, plus giving some sense of easiness on who's is best to proceed each task depending on risk based on Activities, Hazards and Controls (which is the basis of risk assessments).

By doing so, we are enabling customers to curate and annotate their own items, so they have access to a Register of Risk, where they can figure, in a very modern interface, how Risk relate to hazards, how hazards relate to other hazards and whats the best way to mitigate them with controls, Isolations or Work permits. Pretty much empowering Safety professionals to curate the risk in their industries.

In this project I'm mainly worked with:
Joe Meadows as a CEO, and
Bryan Goldberg as a CTO.

Back to home page.